The course will include:
Unit 1: Study Skills [Not Assessed] - How best to organize your study time
• Personal motivation
• Planning and organizing study time; timetabling, study periods, realistic planning
• Study techniques; making notes, concept maps, nuclear notes, mnemonics
• 5 step reading techniques; selection, recognition, extraction, organization and transfer of information
• How the course works; role of tutor, tutor assessed and self-study tasks
Unit 2: The Study of English
• Module 1 – Deductive Analysis and use of grammars – parts of speech and grammatical terminology – the tense system, reported speech, active and passive
• Module 2 – Elements of pronunciation: intonation including rising and falling tones, sentence stress, weak forms – sounds of the language/phonology; word stress, schwa sound, phonemic chart – teaching a ‘pronunciation point’
• Module 3 – Lexis selection: frequency and appropriacy – lexis formation: synonyms and antonyms, word stems, parts of speech including prefixes and suffixes
*Please note a full Back to Basics Grammar Resource is provided with this course
Unit 3: The Teaching and Learning of ESOL
• Module 1 – Overview of ESOL issues – being a caring teacher, involving students, using realistic language, keeping the students attention, teacher talking time, correction, levels in ESOL teaching, visual aids, use of mother tongue; teaching for exams: Cambridge ESOL, Professional English Examinations, TOEFL etc; the role of grammar, classroom techniques, one to one teaching
• Module 2 – Listening and Reading: skills and the textbook, different kinds of listening, available materials – reading in a foreign language; types of reading, types of texts, writing comprehension questions, stages of reading activities, designing reading activities
• Module 3 – Speaking and Writing; what it’s like speaking in a foreign language, setting up speaking activities, types of speaking activities, discreet sound teaching, issues in teaching writing, the nature of writing as a skill, organising and planning writing activities
• Module 4 – Visual Aids; study of all the audio-visual aids available – production of your own flashcards and aids to be used with a simple flannelgraph.
• Module 5 – Error – looking at authentic student errors, classifying them, using a correction code, producing remedial exercises and improving your own practice.
Unit 4: Classroom Management and Assessment
• Module 1 – Learning and teaching; seating, name, teacher talk time, use of questions, ways of differentiating, managing interruptions, learning styles – Lesson Stages and Plans
• Module 2 – Parts and stages of a lesson – time management, group, needs analysis, writing aims and objectives, predicting problems, sample lesson plans at a range of levels
Bonus Unit: Young Learners [Not Assessed]
• Differences between the ways in which adults and children learn
• Features in the stages of development of Young Learners
• Classroom management strategies for use in the Young Learners classroom
• Teaching techniques for use with Young Learners
*** 20 HOUR ONLINE TEACHING PRACTICE ***
The online teaching practice is taken with the largest online English school in the world. You will teach one to one and small groups and you will be mentored by an experienced teacher.
Here is an example of a lesson you may be asked to prepare and teach:
• Level: Elementary
• Topic: Where I live
• Target Structures: There is/are; prepositions of place; quantifiers- some, any, a few, a lot
• Vocabulary: Relevant adjectives to describe a town/city; places/buildings in a town/city
The INTESOL Online Teaching Practice is a totally flexible, convenient method of earning a combined TEFL qualification COMPLETELY ONLINE.
Every session you teach must be treated as if you are teaching a regular class. Therefore, audio and visual distractions must not interfere with the quality of the session. No phones, televisions, radios, loud fans, people, cars on the street, pets, or any noise should be audible in the room when you are teaching.
Also, your background must be a plain background. Most teachers will arrange their desks so their backs are facing plain walls - no doors, pictures, windows. Other teachers put up a white curtain or sheet to create a plain background. This is very important as this will facilitate a professional image of you and also allow the clients to focus on your teaching.
Refer to the 'How it Works' tab for complete Teaching Practice details and requirements.
The course was better than I expected. Course content very thorough. Trainer awesome, knowledgeable, helpful. Always on hand and glad to help. Accommodation perfect, could not have asked for better!
- Terry Engel
Amazing! Our trainer was extremely knowledgeable and passionate about all aspects of ESOL teaching. Always calm and able to answer any questions put to her Support was excellent even when our trainer was very busy she would stop and help. I will highly recommend both the course and the hotel to anyone interested in a TESOL course.
- Paul Williamson
Tutor was exceptional! Extremely knowledgeable and able to convey material in a simple manner. Extremely patient as well. Course content was diverse. The range of topics covered was perfect. From what to teach, how to teach, to what we do when we leave here.
- Heather Washtak
I’ve enjoyed working with my tutor, Vince Ferrer, and I greatly appreciate his comments and suggestions. I hope I can be the effective teacher that he has nurtured me to be! There is hopefully a teaching job in South Korea for me so my TESOL certificate will be of great use to me. Many thanks.
- Suzanne Sutherland
I found the course interesting and the coursework satisfying and productive. Thank you for everything and thanks to Vince Ferrer, a very efficient and encouraging tutor.
- Luisa Miller-CharbitL
Click the ENROLL NOW
button on this page then click the CHECKOUT
button on the following page.
Enter your details > create a password > click CREATE ACCOUNT
Choose your preferred payment method (credit card or PayPal) to finalize your purchase. Enter your payment details and click PLACE ORDER
. An automated invoice/receipt will immediately be sent to your email address.
TEFL Source is a PCI DSS compliant business. This means all your payment information is ultra secure with end to end encryption.
Receive a username and password from the INTESOL addmissions staff. You can now login to the student area, access the course materials, message the course trainers and begin working on the course.
ONLINE TEACHING PRACTICE [TP] COMPONENT
The TP component for this course is accessible to anyone regardless of location - all you need is a computer and Skype. You will be given lessons to prepare. Your lesson plans and materials will be emailed to the Director of Studies in the school whose students you will be teaching.
You will be asked to suggest dates, and lessons will be arranged at times mutually convenient for you and the school. You will be able to decide whether to do your lessons on the same or different days. You will also have the option of planning and delivering just one group initially so that you can draw on the experience to plan the following group. You will be expected to plan 6 lessons of 40 minutes each, 3 at elementary level and 3 at a different level. You will be sent details of the lessons you must plan.
Here is an example of a lesson you may be asked to prepare and teach:
- Level: Elementary
- Topic: Where I live
- Target Structures: There is/are; prepositions of place; quantifiers- some, any, a few, a lot
- Vocabulary: Relevant adjectives to describe a town/city; places/buildings in a town/city
At the beginning of the TP, the tutor will have a quick word with you and after you have been introduced to the students the tutor will remain off screen. All your lesson materials will be printed out ready for the lessons; you will be able to ask the tutor to assist by handing out materials, showing flashcards etc. At the end of the TP you will be asked to reflect on the practice and for oral feedback. Full oral feedback will then be given by the Director of Studies or tutor. The Online Teaching Practice is a totally flexible, convenient method of completing your training.
Technical Requirements for Online Teaching Practice
• Desktop/Laptop PC: Intel Core2 Duo processor or better - no netbook or tablet.
• Windows operating system: Windows 7 or 8
• Internet Explorer web browser: Version 9 or higher.
• Mac: OS 10.7 and higher - no Ipad
• RAM: 2GB or more
• Internet Speed: Minimum 800 Kbps download and 500 Kbps upload
• Wired internet connection: Cable, DSL, or Fiber Optics - no wireless connection.
• Webcam: Either built-in or preferably high quality Creative, Logitech, or comparable.
• Headset: Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 preferred, or any headset with sealed headphones and a swivel boom microphone - EXCEPT Logitech USB headsets.
PRICING & PAYMENT
This course is displayed and sold in USD. Your local currency price is displayed in addition to the USD sale price for reference purposes only. There are no additional fees, the displayed price includes all required course materials. The course fee must be paid in full before receiving course access and instructions.
REFUNDS & CANCELLATIONS
There is a 14 day refund guarantee for this course, provided no course assignments were submitted for marking or grading. Students who have already submitted completed assignments for marking or grading will not be eligible for a refund. If you would like to apply for a refund please write to us by email and your refund will be issued as soon as possible [within 15 business days].
NON-NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS
This course requires proficient English speaking, reading & writing skills. Non-native speakers should have B2 level proficiency in the English language. If you are not sure of your English Language level then please schedule a free consultation session with one of our advisors.
TEFL Source is not the Course Provider; we work in partnership with the Course Provider as an authorized reseller of this certification course. TEFL Source does not rebrand or alter course specifics or particulars in any way. All courses displayed and sold on this website are ‘one and the same’ as the respective courses that are sold and displayed on the Course Provider’s website.
Please visit our Terms & Conditions page (http://teflsource.com/page/terms-of-use) for complete policy information.